Dorset

Weymouth Ironman triathlon cut following traffic issues

Ironman in Weymouth
Image caption About 2,700 competitors took part in the Ironman event in Weymouth in September.

A triathlon event criticised over disruption it caused to traffic is to be cut in scale.

About 2,700 competitors took part in what organisers called the UK's "biggest-ever" Ironman event in Weymouth in September.

Organisers have now said the 2017 event will not include a 140.6 mile (226.3km) option.

Drivers on the day reported taking three hours to make a four-mile journey between Weymouth and Dorchester.

Dorset Police said traffic disruption on the day of the event was made worse by vandals who removed road signs.

'Best race experience'

The competition involves a swim in Weymouth bay followed by a run through Weymouth and a cycle through rural west Dorset.

September's event included both a 70.3 mile (113.2km) and the full distance 140.6 mile (226.3km) route.

A statement from the organisers confirmed the next event would be held on Sunday, 17 September 2017, but said there had been "speculation" about the full distance event.

The organisers said: "Since the event a review has been undertaken with the authorities and consultation with the local communities affected by the road closures.

"The conclusion is that we will withdraw the full distance event from the race going forward to ensure that we can continue to deliver the best race experience for athletes."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites