Bournemouth homes evacuated after underground fire

Workmen at the scene of the fire
Image caption An electrical fault caused the underground fire

Residents have been evacuated from their homes after a fire broke out following an underground electrical fault in Bournemouth.

The blaze started in a manhole on Turbary Park Avenue at about 11:30 GMT and spread to a property, the fire service said.

Several road closures are in place including at the junctions with Poole Lane and Kimber Road.

One woman was taken to hospital "as a precaution", Dorset Police said.

No-one has been injured and the fire is not thought to be suspicious, a force spokesman said.

Eight people have been evacuated from their homes while emergency services and the electricity company make the area safe, which "may take some time", he added.

Image caption The blaze started in a manhole on Turbary Park Avenue

The fire started after an electrical junction box overheated, a Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) spokesman said.

It also caused some appliances in residents' homes to overheat, the fire service said.

About 100 properties are without power while work is carried out to replace the box, SSE added.

It is hoped the work will be completed by 19:30 GMT.

Frost Road, Frost Gardens, Poole Lane, Jephcote Road, Ringwood Road and Nutley Way are affected by the outage.

Members of the public have been advised to avoid the area.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites