Andrew Pimlott: Police pay family of Taser death man

Andrew Pimlott
Image caption Andrew Pimlott died in hospital five days after being Tasered

Police have paid compensation to the parents of a man who was set alight after being struck by a Taser.

Andrew Pimlott, 32, had doused himself in fuel and was holding a lit match when the weapon was fired at him outside his parents' house in Plymouth.

He died a few days later in April 2013 from severe burns. An inquest found the Taser was the most likely cause of the fuel igniting.

Lawyers representing his parents said an undisclosed sum had been agreed.

Devon and Cornwall Police do not accept any liability for Mr Pimlott's death.

A police spokesman said: "Whilst the outcome of the inquest in 2015 did indicate that the Taser was the most likely cause of the ignition, no criticism was levied at the force or the officer, and confirmed the officer had used his Taser in accordance with national training."

The spokesman added: "The force have tried to avoid any further distress for Mr Pimlott's family which included making a decision to settle the civil claim in light of the fact they have already endured a series of legal and regulatory processes which examined their son's death."

Image caption Mr Pimlott, who was in the back garden of his parents' house, doused himself in petrol, the inquest heard

Mr and Mrs Pimlott, who have both been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, will receive ongoing counselling as part of the settlement.

Ali Cloak, of law firm Withy King, said: "While no amount of compensation will ever make up for the loss of their son, I hope the settlement will provide some sort of closure and allow them to rebuild their lives."

Mr Pimlott's father, Kelvin, said: "My boy was unarmed and posed no threat to anyone. He poured petrol over himself to get attention. He didn't want to die. If the police had used any other method then my son would still be alive today.

"Time and time again, Tasers are proving lethal and they clearly require much more stringent regulation and training to prevent further unnecessary deaths."

The jury at the 2015 inquest into Mr Pimlott's death found the Taser fired by a police officer was the most likely cause of a fire which killed him. However, they could not be sure whether Mr Pimlott started the fire by striking the match.

The jury said the officer had acted in line with his training before firing.

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites