Logan Peters killed himself following police custody

Logan Peters Image copyright Family of Logan Peters
Image caption Logan Peters took his own life the day after being released from police custody

A series of police failures caused a man to kill himself a day after being released from custody, an inquest found.

Logan Peters, 22, was on a night out when he was arrested and held by police in Plymouth on 7 May 2014.

The inquest in Truro heard police used unlawful force on Mr Peters and carried out an unauthorised strip search.

Coroner Andrew Cox will now write to the Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall Police to set out concerns.

For live updates on this story as it develops click here

Devon and Cornwall Police said officers involved in Mr Peter's case had not met "the very high standards" expected by the force, and had "received management action in relation to their future conduct".

The force said it would look "in detail" at the findings of the inquest to decide whether any further action was necessary.

'Unreasonable force'

In a narrative conclusion the jury said there were "errors, omissions or failures" by police "which caused or contributed" to Mr Peters' death.

Mr Peters, a boatbuilder from Millbrook in Cornwall, was arrested after a confrontation with staff at a takeaway and taken to Charles Cross police station.

The jury concluded the force used in arrest was "unreasonable, disproportionate and unnecessary".

The six-day inquest heard Mr Peters had suffered with anxiety and depression leading up to his death.

Image copyright Google
Image caption Logan Peters was held for 12 hours at Charles Cross police station

In custody Mr Peters was seen banging his head against the walls of the cells and he wrapped a blanket around his neck.

The jury concluded there was a "cumulative impact of individual failures" by police.

They said a failure to address Mr Peters' complaint about force used and the unauthorised strip search "significantly contributed to a further deterioration of Logan's psychological wellbeing".

Mr Peters was charged with criminal damage and remained in custody from about 03:20 BST to about 16:00 BST.

Following his release he told his parents he was angry and frustrated by the way police had dealt with him.

He later killed himself and his body was found in his mother's summerhouse at Millbrook at about 12:00 on 8 May.

The IPCC launched an investigation in May 2014 but has not yet responded to the conclusion of the inquest.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites