Plymouth Argyle fans miss Morecambe game after traffic chaos

Morecambe FC Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption The game between Morecambe and Plymouth was delayed by 30 minutes after fans were stuck in traffic on the M6

Football fans missed an away game after being stuck in traffic "chaos" as they attempted to travel more than 330 miles.

The Good Friday fixture between Morecambe and Plymouth was delayed by 30 minutes after fans were stuck on the M6.

Plymouth Argyle Football Club said it made "no sense" to schedule the match "for one of the busiest weekends".

It "intends to carry out a thorough review".

'Nice to be refunded'

Argyle manager Derek Adams said: "We all know that the roads are going to be busy and I think we could all have played closer to home over this period."

A number of vehicles were involved in a crash on the M6 at about 12:45 GMT on Good Friday, with three lanes closed for several hours between junctions 10a and 11.

Plymouth fan James Hardy, who left at 06:30 and arrived at Morecambe at 17:30, said: "The coach drivers tried to follow diversions, but there was just more and more traffic.

Image copyright Paul McDonnell
Image caption Fans from Plymouth were stuck in traffic on the M6 following a crash involving several vehicles
Image caption Fan James Hardy, who left Plymouth at 06:30 and arrived at Morecambe at 17:30, said he was gutted to miss the match

"We arrived just as the game was about to finish, then it was six-and-a-half hours back home. We were gutted to never make it."

He added it "would be nice" to be refunded for the match as a "goodwill gesture".

Sally Kimmince told BBC News: "It was a nightmare. You can't blame the driver, it's all down to the Football League."


In a statement, the club said: "We deeply regret that the majority of the Green Army were caught up in the traffic chaos on the M6 on Good Friday which severely affected their journey to watch our game at Morecambe.

"Even though, at the request of Argyle officials, the game's kick-off was delayed by half an hour, some fans that set off from Plymouth at the crack of dawn were turned back without reaching the Globe Arena after hours on the road. That is heartbreaking."

Image copyright Twitter/ShrimpsOfficial
Image caption Morecambe tweeted their thanks for those who tried in vain to get to the game

Argyle said it was "entirely predictable that such chaos would ensue" and "we believe it made no sense to schedule a fixture which involves a 660-mile round-trip for Plymouth-based Argyle supporters for one of the busiest weekends of the year".

"We will also be making representation to the Football League to try to ensure that our loyal supporters will be spared such an ordeal in the future."

The Football League is yet to comment.

Plymouth Argyle picked up their first win in five games, winning 2-0 at Morecambe.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites