Devon mother and child rescued from blaze

House fire
Image caption Fire investigators urged householders to fit smoke alarms after it was revealed the property had none

A mother and child were rescued from a blazing house by a neighbour who braved the flames to get them out of a first floor window.

The neighbour, who has not been named, put a ladder up to the window to get them to safety before firefighters arrived in Torrington, Devon.

No-one was injured in the fire, which started at about 06:30 GMT.

Firefighters said the occupants were lucky to get out alive because the house was not fitted with smoke alarms.

Image caption The neighbour was alerted by cries from a bedroom window

Fire investigator Peter Bond said the neighbour did a "fantastic job" rescuing the pair.

"He was alerted by cries from the front bedroom window," he said.

"He grabbed a ladder and affected a rescue by getting the occupants down and away from the building."

The fire had started by accident in the kitchen.

Mr Bond said: "Smoke detectors save lives and we encourage all householders to install them."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites