Money to help Plymouth's 'trapped' elderly tenants move

Elderly people in Plymouth who are struggling to manage and heat their homes will be offered help to find a smaller property.

The city council will be given £150,000 from the Department for Communities and Local Government.

The scheme will help those elderly people living in social housing.

The government said it would help those who are "trapped in larger family homes" and help reduce the social housing waiting list.

Government figures show in England there are more than 430,000 under-occupied social homes, where tenants have two or more bedrooms than they need.

Plymouth City Council will be allocated £150,000 from 2011-13, with future funding available until 2015.

Government ministers said they would not force people to move, but would help those who wanted to.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites