Firefighters tackle Bideford cyanide gas leak
Firefighters using breathing apparatus and specialist gas-tight chemical suits have tackled a cyanide leak in north Devon.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said about 200 litres of potassium cyanide leaked into an overflow tank at Tyco Electronics at East The Water, near Bideford.
The spill was contained within the factory and no-one was injured.
The chemical is normally stored on site to strip metal.
The fire service said it liaised with the National Chemical Emergency Centre, the Environment Agency and scientific services from Somerset County Council, but the incident was primarily dealt with by Tyco staff who are trained in dealing with the hazardous materials stored on their site.
Regular risk assessments were carried out throughout the incident and at no point was there any risk to members of the public, a spokesman said.