Chief inspector Tim Frohwein was distressed, inquest hears

Ch Insp Tim Frohwein Image copyright Family handout
Image caption Ch Insp Tim Frohwein was found dead in the Goyt Valley six days after he disappeared in November 2013

A police officer found dead on moorland after a six day search was dreading a meeting at work, an inquest has heard.

Ch Insp Tim Frohwein was the most upset his wife had ever seen him on the day he disappeared in Derbyshire in 2013.

He was found with a half empty bottle of whisky and a pack of pills but had no alcohol in his blood and died of hypothermia, a pathologist said.

The coroner has said it could have been a "staged" suicide that went wrong. The hearing is due to end this week.

Mr Frohwein's body was found in the Goyt Valley by family and friends in November 2013 after he disappeared from his Buxton home six days earlier.

Image copyright Thinkstock
Image caption At the time of Ch Insp Tim Frohwein's disappearance, temperatures in the Goyt Valley in Derbyshire, where he was found, were below freezing

On the opening day of the inquest in Chesterfield on Monday, Derbyshire Constabulary argued that evidence about Mr Frohwein's mental state or working life should not be heard.

The force's lawyer Bryony Ballard argued that the inquiry should focus on the circumstances of his death because suicide had been ruled out.

But coroner Dr Robert Hunter disagreed and said it would be a "warts and all hearing".

Earlier, Mr Frohwein's wife Lesley said in the 30 years she had known him he had never been so upset and cried for 15 minutes the day he disappeared.

He had been "dreading" a meeting at work for senior police officers the following day, she added.

Did not seek help

While she was out walking the dogs she received a text message from her husband which led to the family raising the alarm.

He was also upset at being relocated from Buxton to Chesterfield because the drive would hurt his knee which had recently been operated on.

The inquest was also told he did not seek help from a doctor because he did not want it on his police record.

Previously in the hearing, the pathologist said there was no alcohol in his system nor was there a toxic level of drugs.

The inquest continues.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites