Derby

Dave the dog survives being impaled on metal spike

Dave the dog Image copyright McMurtry & Harding
Image caption Dave, an eight-year-old Cocker Spaniel, became impaled on a rusty metal spike

A family say their dog is lucky to be alive after becoming impaled on a rusty metal spike that went right through his body.

It happened when Dave the Cocker Spaniel ran into a bush - but fortunately the 18-inch (45cm) spike missed most of his organs.

Three veterinary surgeons were needed to remove the spike from his body and Dave had to spend a week at the vets.

The spike caught his oesophagus so he could not eat or drink while it healed.

Updates on this story and more from Derbyshire

Image copyright McMurtry & Harding
Image caption The metal spike caught Dave's oesophagus but missed the rest of his organs
Image copyright McMurtry & Harding
Image caption Dave's owners thought he was going to die when they saw the spike sticking out of him

He can only have mushy food now but his owner, Jo-ann Keen, said he seemed back to normal.

"He was very lucky," said Mrs Keen, from Middleton-by-Wirksworth in Derbyshire.

"Everybody thought he was going to die, because they didn't know what it had hit, if anything."

The treatment has cost the family £2,300 so far, but Mrs Keen said Dave was more important than money.

Image copyright Jo-ann Keen
Image caption Dave can only eat mushed up food now but he seems back to his normal self

He was injured on 9 January while he was out with Mrs Keen's husband, Matthew Keen.

Mr Keen thinks the rusty spike must have snapped after Dave became impaled on it, because he came running out of the bush with the spike stuck inside him.

The family said they were very grateful to McMurtry & Harding veterinary practice for treating him.

Image copyright McMurtry & Harding
Image caption Dave's owners do not know what the metal spike is but it could have come from a fence

Related Topics

More on this story