Derby

Mouse droppings on plates at Sawley pub

Droppings on a plate Image copyright Erewash Borough Council
Image caption Mouse droppings were found on plates and in equipment used to prepare food at the Steamboat Inn

Rodent droppings were found in a frying pan, on plates and in a salad container at a mouse-infested pub, a court has heard.

A mouse ran past inspectors at The Steamboat Inn, Sawley, in Derbyshire and 42 mice were caught at the premises over three nights.

Publican Simon Jones, 50, was fined £6,000 and Nicolas Crossman, 24, who ran the kitchen, was fined £1,000 at Derby Magistrates' Court.

Jones said it had been "a bad year".

Inspector Raf Ali, of Erewash Borough Council, told Derby Magistrates' Court: "The officer, whilst standing in the kitchen area, saw a mouse run from one side of the fridges under a table where a microwave stood."

Updates on this and other stories on Derbyshire Live

Image copyright Erewash Borough Council
Image caption A dead mouse was among dozens of rodents found by environmental health officers

He said a mouse ran across a kitchen at the pub, which is near the Nottinghamshire border, while a "huge number" of customers were eating and drinking.

The pub was closed temporarily after the inspection in August 2014 but has since reopened.

Image copyright Rod Malcolm
Image caption The pub was closed for several weeks after the inspection by Erewash Borough Council, but has since reopened

Mouse droppings were found on the kitchen floor, under a stainless steel table and dishwashing machine, magistrates were told.

There was "a significant amount of dirt and debris" on the floor, as well as rodent faeces.

Crossman and Jones admitted failing to maintain clean food premises and failing to have adequate pest control.

Jones said he had been let down by a pest control firm which had failed to arrive and treat the premises.

"I am not saying it is down to them but it was a bad year. We were overstretched," he said.

"We have cleaned it up now and done what the council told us to put us in the right direction. "

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites