Long Eaton fire forces pet shop animals rescue

The fire in Long Eaton Image copyright Lucy-Jayne Lester
Image caption Six fire crews were called to the fire in Long Eaton

Firefighters rescued rabbits, tortoises and budgies from a pet shop when they were endangered by smoke from a nearby fire.

They revived one budgie by giving it oxygen, but four budgies died despite the efforts of Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The fire broke out at a woodyard in Long Eaton.

Six fire crews were called to Acton Business Park at about 20:45 BST on Friday to deal with the large fire.

The fire is thought to have been started by an overheated fridge, before spreading and setting alight to a large amount of wood.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites