Derby

Asbestos fears after fire in Long Eaton

Fire in Carlton Road
Image caption Nick Parker, who lives next door to the property, took this photo

People in Long Eaton have been warned not to pick up dangerous asbestos debris which may have landed in their gardens following a fire.

Residents were advised to keep their windows and doors closed when Derbyshire Fire and Rescue was called to Carlton Road at about 02:30 BST.

A two-storey building, which was well alight, is believed to have been a former electrical suppliers.

The roof contained asbestos, which can cause mesothelioma, a form of cancer.

The cause of the fire is still being investigated but the fire service said it could have been started deliberately.

Anyone who finds debris in their garden should telephone the environmental health department of Erewash Borough Council.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites