Poppi Worthington death: Coroner calls for fresh inquest
A senior coroner is to ask for a fresh inquest into the death of a 13-month-old girl in Cumbria.
Poppi Iris Worthington died in December 2012. Her father, Paul, 46, and a 30-year-old woman were later arrested.
An inquest in October ruled the cause of death could not be ascertained and their bail was cancelled.
Lawyers for several media groups wrote to senior coroner David Roberts to argue the inquest was "insufficient" and therefore "unlawful".
Ian Smith, the original coroner who has now retired, took seven minutes to declare the death of Poppi Worthington as unexplained at the inquest.
Following the media's concerns surrounding the "secrecy" of her death, Mr Roberts said he would ask the Attorney General for a fresh inquest.
He said: "My own view is that it would be desirable for a fresh inquest to take place, not least so that conclusions as to how, when and where Poppi Worthington came by her death can be recorded.
"Neither I nor Mr Smith has power to hold a further inquest without the permission of the High Court."
On Wednesday High Court judge Mr Justice Peter Jackson varied reporting restrictions, allowing Poppi Worthington's home town of Barrow-in-Furness to be reported.
Cumbria Police said a file had been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for consideration whether to bring criminal proceedings.
A CPS spokesman said: "We have received a file from Cumbria Constabulary on this case and we will be making a decision as soon as is practicably possible."
The initial police investigation is being probed by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and an officer remains suspended.