Josh Clayton death: Isles of Scilly investigation to be reviewed

Josh Clayton
Image caption Josh Clayton was missing for 10 days before his body was found

The death of a holiday island worker will be reviewed after his grieving family said it had "no confidence" in a police investigation.

Josh Clayton's body was found on rocks in the Isles of Scilly after he went missing from a party in September 2015.

An inquest into the 23-year-old's death was halted earlier this month after new evidence emerged of a row at the party.

The Devon and Cornwall Police investigation will be reviewed by Dorset officers.

Mr Clayton's mother, Tracey Clayton, said she is pleased concerns are "being taken seriously".

For more on the Josh Clayton story, and other news

Devon and Cornwall Police will also launch a new investigation into the death.

Image caption Josh Clayton's mother, Tracey, said she is pleased the family is 'being listened to'

Ms Clayton said: "None of what they were saying ever made any sense to me.

"As a mother you know instinctively that something is not right, and to be patronised with people saying that every mother feels like that, it's disgusting really.

"I haven't got much faith or trust, but that will hopefully be restored. Hopefully we can finally get some answers."

Image caption Mr Clayton was one of about 40 seasonal workers at a party on the privately-owned island

The body of Mr Clayton, from Taunton, was found on rocks near Tresco on 23 September 2015, 10 days after he went missing from the party on the privately-owned island.

Devon and Cornwall Police said evidence had come to light at the inquest which "had not been made available" to the police inquiry.

A statement said: "A new investigation will now take place looking at any information which may be relevant to the investigation into Josh's death.

"Alongside this will be a review from Dorset Police looking at the previous investigation and identifying any learning which could be gained as a result."

The force said the Clayton family had met a senior detective and will continue to be kept fully informed of any developments.