St Agnes fatal-crash-driver Ryan Morrish tried to frame best friend

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionA man who was framed by his best friend for a fatal car crash says he cannot understand why he did it.

A man whose best friend tried to frame him over a fatal crash had to leave his home because of "hatred" he endured.

Rupert Thompson was not near the crash site but was arrested the next day and kept on police bail for five months.

He said he cannot understand why best friend Ryan Morrish, who was jailed last week for six years, tried to pin the crash in St Agnes, Cornwall on him.

Morrish had told police he thought his friend stole his car as a joke, before the crash last August.

For live updates on this story as it develops click here

The defendant was also convicted of perverting the course of justice over the deaths of Calvin Trevena and Ann Varran, who both died at the scene on the B3277.

Mr Thompson, 27, told the BBC he was "gobsmacked" and "confused" by Morrish's actions.

Image copyright Devon and Cornwall Police
Image caption Ryan Morrish mowed down Ann Varran and Calvin Trevena near St Agnes

"I was arrested on suspicion of stealing Ryan's car and causing death by dangerous driving," he said.

"I was very confused, as far as I was concerned the car had been stolen. I was nowhere near the car. I was in custody for about 22 hours."

He said during the five months he was on bail "everyone knew I was friends with Ryan and everyone jumped to conclusions that I must have been involved".

Mr Thompson, who was starting a new business, left St Agnes when the "hatred grew" for him.

Judge Christopher Harvey Clark told Morrish he had systematically told "lie after lie after lie" when sentencing him at Truro Crown Court earlier this month.

Image copyright Matt Bonnar
Image caption Ann Varran, whose body was thrown into a nearby field by the force of the crash, and Calvin Trevena, were declared dead at the scene

Morrish eventually admitted the crime and pleaded guilty to causing the deaths on 29 April.

At sentencing, the court heard he knew his victims and Ms Varran and Mr Trevena had gone on a skiing holiday with Morrish's family earlier in the year.

Mr Thompson has since moved back to St Agnes and said "people are making quite a lot of effort" and "everything's going in the right direction".

He said he and Morrish have not spoken since the crash.

"We were best friends until that moment," he said.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites