Godrevy Point walker dies after rescue from sea

Image caption Police are investigating how the woman came to be in the water in a deep and narow gulley at Godrevy

A walker has died after being airlifted from the sea off Godrevy Point in west Cornwall.

The woman, aged in her 60s, had been with a walking party near Hayle on Saturday evening.

The victim, from the Camborne area, was found unconscious in the water lodged in a narrow rock gully at the bottom of cliffs.

She was taken to the Royal Cornwall Hospital at Treliske by a helicopter from RNAS Culdrose but later died.

It is unclear how the woman came to be in the water.

Image caption The RNAS Culdrose helicopter crew winched the woman from the 4.6m wide gully
Image copyright Google
Image caption The helicopter crew were praised for the difficult rescue from the narrow gulley

The rescue operation involved police, coastguard teams from St Ives and St Agnes and the rescue helicopter from RNAS Culdrose.

According to the Royal Navy, the woman was unconscious and suffering from major injuries when she was located and winched to safety at about 21:20 GMT.

Helicopter winch man, Lt Cdr Andy Watts, said: "Everything was playing against us including the strong westerly wind which meant we had to hover higher than normal.

"The gulley was only five yards (4.6m) wide and about 140ft (43m) deep but we had help from the police helicopter which illuminated the scene.

"We got the woman into the aircraft and tried to resuscitate her but she remained unconscious throughout the flight."

Police enquiries are continuing but officers are not treating the death as suspicious.

A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "We are investigating how she came to be in the water."

Portreath coastguard cliff rescue team thanked the emergency services for the "long and difficult" rescue and sent "condolences to the casualty's family at this difficult time".

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites