Cambridgeshire

Somersham fire: Victim 'bed bound since stroke'

Somersham house after fatal fire
Image caption A man and woman died in the fire at their two-storey home on Easter Monday

A woman who died in a house fire alongside her husband had been bed bound after suffering a stroke, an inquest has heard.

Roger Freestone, 67, and his wife Maureen, 65, died at home in Somersham, Cambridgeshire, on 28 March.

The couple's daughters told the coroner their mother had been difficult to move without a hoist.

The inquest was adjourned until 12 December in order to call more witnesses.

'Hoarders'

In March, Huntingdon Coroner's Court was told the house on Queens Road was "cluttered" and that Mr Freestone was seen kicking a cardboard box, which had caught fire, out of the front door.

Coroner David Heming read out a statement which said it was noted the couple were hoarders and the cardboard box had ignited a curtain over the front door.

Mr Freestone had gone back into the house to be with his wife, who was bed-bound.

Post-mortem examinations showed the couple died from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Two carers managed to escape. One got out of the front door and had minor burns, the other exited the building through a living room window.

Police have said they were not treating the fire as suspicious.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites