Wisbech factory workers treated after chemical spill

Six people were treated for breathing problems after a chemical spill at a factory in Cambridgeshire.

Emergency services were called to Paragon Labels in Cromwell Road, Wisbech, just before 12:00 BST.

Staff were taken ill after breathing in fumes from a drum containing 20 litres of ink and solvent.

The building was evacuated and a cordon put in place. Cambridgeshire Fire Service's hazardous materials crew is monitoring the situation.

A spokesman said there was no threat to public safety.

"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used thermal imaging cameras to monitor the temperature of the drum," he added.

"Once the temperature dropped, the cordon was reduced around the area and we waited for the chemicals to naturally degrade."

One crew remained in place while site managers disposed of the material.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said paramedics and members of the hazardous area response team treated the casualties at the scene, but none required hospital treatment.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites