Ikea fined after two of worker's fingers partially amputated
Ikea has been fined £100,000 after an engineer was injured at work carrying out maintenance to a faulty roof fan.
The man had part of two of his fingers amputated following the accident at the furniture giant's Bristol store in November 2016.
Ikea admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was also ordered to pay £6,407 in court costs.
Bristol City Council said it found more examples of health and safety breaches at Ikea, such as a lack of fan guards.
The faulty fan and eight others on the roof were unguarded, Bristol Magistrates Court heard on 3 October.
The court also learned there was inadequate risk assessment in place for fault-finding or maintenance work of this nature, and the engineer had not received specific health and safety training from Ikea for the work.
City councillor Kye Dudd said: "The health and safety of employees should be a top priority for every employer."