Baby Aya Parker's father inflicted 'fatal and terrible' injuries

image copyrightAvon and Somerset Police
image captionA post-mortem examination revealed Aya Parker had fractures to her skull and jaw

A man has admitted murdering his six-month-old baby daughter on Christmas Day.

Lee Parker, 33, of Britton Gardens in Kingswood, Bristol, inflicted "fatal and terrible" injuries on Aya Parker, Bristol Crown Court was told.

The court heard her skull was fractured in several places and paramedics were unable to revive her.

Parker pleaded guilty and sentencing is due to take place on Tuesday.

Richard Smith QC, prosecuting, said that although Parker and Aya's mother were separated, he had agreed to look after the baby while his former partner went out to dinner with her new boyfriend and his parents.

The separated couple had shared a glass of wine before she went out at 15:00 GMT.

image copyrightAvon and Somerset Police

"During the course of the afternoon and evening, Lee Parker was drinking, and potentially taking drugs," he added.

"We know Aya was happy at 3.15pm and still apparently so at 6pm because there were photos on Parker's mobile phone.

"Between then and 1am, he inflicted fatal and terrible injuries."

The court heard Parker consumed two bottles of red wine and one third of a bottle of vodka during the afternoon and evening.

Toxicology tests also showed he had used cannabis and cocaine in that 24-hour period.

But by the time he called the emergency services, "something catastrophic" had happened, Mr Smith said.

A post-mortem on Aya revealed fractures to the side and top of her skull, including one that was 8cm long.

An X-ray also confirmed a fractured jaw which had happened 2-4 hours prior to her death.

'No explanation'

Mr Smith said it was believed Aya's head was hit against the bathroom door or wall as there was damage to both and she had injuries in keeping with being gripped.

Mr Smith said: "Parker said he had woken up to find Aya not breathing and had not done anything to her."

Dean Armstrong QC, defending, said that since the death of both of Parker's parents in 2013, his life had taken a downward spiral and alcohol and drugs had become normal.

He said: "He can offer no explanation or has no memory of what happened.

"He accepts he'd been drinking and that he was responsible for his daughter's death and accepts he phoned 999.

"He hopes his guilty plea will help the family in their grieving process."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.