More than 200 nutmeg graters - billed as "the biggest ever collection" of the ornate implements gathered in a single place - have gone on display.
The unusual items, which have been loaned to a Bristol gallery by private collectors, date from the 1690s.
An urn-shaped grinder, a memorial grater adorned with a photo of a dead child, and one built into a walking stick are among the exhibits.
Curator Stephen Grey-Harris said the majority had never been seen in public.
What is nutmeg?
- A spice from the nutmeg tree
- Native to several Indonesian islands
- Both nutmeg and mace come from the same plant
- Nutmeg is the 'nut', while mace is the surrounding lacy 'aril'
- Nutmeg has a warm, spicy aroma and flavour
- Can be used in sweet and savoury cooking
Source: BBC Food