Bristol

Bristol University flats fire started in pan of oil

The damaged roof following a fire in a University of Bristol block of accommodation
Image caption The university said the fire had caused a "huge amount of damage"

An unattended pan of oil has been blamed for causing a fire which ripped through the roof of a student accommodation block in Bristol.

The blaze, on the top floor of the University of Bristol flats in Colston Street, is thought to have started in a kitchen at about 13:00 BST on Monday.

Steve Quinton, from Avon Fire and Rescue Service, said he was satisfied the cause of the fire was accidental.

Nobody was hurt but more than 100 students have had to be rehomed.

'Alarms saved lives'

Mr Quinton said: "Whilst this was undoubtedly a dramatic and extremely traumatic incident for those involved and affected, thankfully no-one was injured.

"Although the building was badly damaged the presence of the alarms undoubtedly saved lives that day."

Avon Fire Service said the building was unsafe and the street would remain shut for the rest of the week.

Image caption The fire affected the fifth floor and roof space of the building

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites