Stepbrother charged with Becky Watts murder in Bristol

  • Published
Rebecca WattsImage source, Avon and Somerset Police
Image caption,
Becky Watts went missing from her family home on 19 February

Nathan Matthews, the stepbrother of missing 16-year-old Becky Watts, has been charged with her murder, Avon and Somerset Police have said.

His girlfriend, Shauna Hoare, 21, also known as Shauna Phillips, has been charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The pair, of Cotton Mill Lane, Bristol, are due before magistrates on Thursday.

Four other men and a woman, all in their 20s, are still being questioned on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Mr Matthews and Ms Hoare are due to appear at Bristol Magistrates Court at 10:00 GMT on Thursday.

Ms Hoare was last night taken to hospital by officers after "feeling unwell" in custody but returned after being seen by a doctor, police previously said.

Becky, who was described by her family as "wonderful", was last seen on 19 February and was reported missing the following day.

Image source, facebook
Image caption,
Nathan Matthews and Shauna Hoare were arrested at the weekend
Image source, PA
Image caption,
Floral tributes have been left outside Becky's home in St George, Bristol

On Tuesday, body parts were found at a house in Barton Hill, Bristol.

Floral tributes have been left outside Becky's home and near the house where the body parts were found.

A fundraising page has also been set up to help pay for Becky's funeral.

St Ambrose Church, near the family home, is to hold a special hour-long service from 20:00.

On Thursday, the church will also open from 10:30 to 21:00 for people to light candles in the 16-year-old's memory.

A book of condolence has also been placed there.

The Right Reverend Mike Hill, Bishop of Bristol, paid tribute to Becky's family and said he had been "deeply" affected by the death.

"I feel sure that people both of faith and of no faith will join with me in wishing to support the friends and family of Becky Watts," he said.

On Wednesday morning, magistrates granted police a further 24 hours to question the two men aged 29, two aged 23 and a woman aged 23 who had been arrested earlier in the week on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.