Stewart Jackson Fishponds car bomb hoaxer jailed for 20 months

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionBomb hoaxer Stewart Jackson makes a hoax bomb call to police after buying petrol and dousing a car with it

A man who admitted a bomb hoax in Bristol after he doused a car in fuel has been sent to prison for 20 months.

More than 450 homes in the Cassell Road area of Fishponds were evacuated in May when the area around the BMW was sealed off.

Stewart Jackson, 42, from Emersons Green, appeared at Bristol Crown Court from custody, for sentencing.

At a previous appearance Jackson pleaded guilty to damaging property and placing a hoax bomb.

Image copyright Police
Image caption Stewart Jackson called police claiming the car had an explosive device attached to it

Supt Richard Cadden said: "Jackson staged this bomb hoax as part of an ongoing dispute with another man.

"He hoped his actions would cause fear and disruption to the victim and his family."

Jackson was out with friends in Bristol on 30 May when he referred to the dispute and said he "knew how to make a bomb".

Later that night he flagged down a taxi near the Blackhorse garage, asking to go to Easton.

He asked the driver to stop at the Shell garage in Muller Road, Eastville, where he is seen on CCTV footage buying a petrol can and filling it with fuel.

He then asked to be taken to Staple Hill and was dropped off a short distance from Cassell Road.

Just before 04:00 GMT a man speaking in a French accent made a 999 call to police from a phonebox in City Road.

The caller said a car had been doused in petrol and had an explosive device attached to it.

"During a search of Cassell Road, a black pouring hose was found lying on top of bushes, which was forensically tested and was found to have Jackson's DNA on," said Supt Cadden.

"We also recovered CCTV showing Jackson buying the petrol can and fuel from a petrol station."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites