Bristol fatal flat fire 'probable' cause cooking inside property

Askew Architects Image copyright @askewarchitects
Image caption Residents were evacuated from the flats because of the fire

An inquiry into a fire in a Bristol flat in which a 61-year-old man died was started accidentally, Avon Fire and Rescue Service has found.

The investigation concluded the blaze at Carolina House in Kingsdown began "most probably as a result of cooking inside the property".

The findings have been passed to HM Coroner in order for a full inquest to be carried out.

Residents in the flats said the man had been seen lighting fires on a balcony.

Bristol City Council said it had gained an injunction following fire-related complaints.

A council statement said: "We can confirm the council had been in contact with the tenant but there had been no fire-related complaints since May this year when an injunction was served.

During the fire residents from other flats in the block were helped to leave the building by people from a nearby bail hostel.

Dozens of people were taken to a nearby church.

Several roads in the area were also closed.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites