Bristol Children's hospital deaths: Two more families come forward

Bristol Children's Hospital
Image caption The hospital hopes the review will restore confidence in the unit

Two more families who lost children after heart surgery at Bristol's Children's Hospital have come forward to express their concerns.

Harley Pascoe, from Fraddon, Cornwall, died in October aged 12 days and Mia-Leigh Snelson from nearby St Austell, died in July aged 11 days.

It follows an announcement that there will be an inquiry into several deaths of children over recent years.

The hospital has welcomed the review and hopes it will restore confidence.

'Condition deteriorated'

A spokesman maintained the unit was safe but added it will be co-operating with the independent review by Sir Ian Kennedy who led the Bristol Royal Infirmary investigation.

It has been prompted following concerns by parents about the care given to their children.

Harley's parents, Danielle Gatehouse and Lee Pascoe, said his operation was cancelled five times because there was no intensive care bed available at the hospital.

By the time he was given surgery his condition had deteriorated.

"No-one ever told us it was urgent when we were at the hospital," Ms Gatehouse said.

"He had an echo a day before they did his operation and they noticed a duct in his heart was closing up.

"They had to double the dose of his drugs to keep it open and that's when he became an emergency and was operated on the next day."

The hospital said Harley was not considered urgent at the time which was why children with more serious conditions had to be seen first.

Stephen Snelson and his partner Vicky said they had not heard anything from the hospital about the Child Death Review for several months.

"I don't know what I should be doing because no-one has explained to me what to do," Ms Snelson said.

"They promised they'd be here for us forever... we'll always be at the end of the phone... I've had nothing," she added.

Bristol Children's Hospital said it had written to the family but had not heard back yet

More on this story