BBC News

Gino Nelmes sword killing: Marc Carter detained in hospital

image captionCarter accused Mr Nelmes of reading his mind before he stabbed him

A mentally ill care home resident with a violent history who killed a man with a samurai sword has been detained.

Marc Carter, 46, who admitted manslaughter, stabbed fellow resident Gino Nelmes 17 times at the care home in Bristol in March.

Carter had recently been released from Fromeside secure hospital.

At Bristol Crown Court, he was given an indeterminate sentence for the protection of the public and will be detained in hospital for treatment.

He will remain at Broadmoor, where he has been since his guilty plea, and will not be considered for release without it being sanctioned by the secretary of state or a tribunal.

Drinking cider

Judge Neil Ford said Carter, who admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility, must serve a minimum of 12 years.

An independent investigation into the killing is being carried out by the strategic health authority.

It was revealed in court that Carter, of Filton Avenue, Bristol, had been allowed back into the community despite a long history of assaults and woundings.

image captionGino Nelmes died in hospital from a stab wound to his heart

The court heard he had numerous convictions for attacks and assaults, including one on a police officer, and had previously served a nine-year sentence.

Carter had been drinking cider before attacking Mr Nelmes.

He then left and walked into Trinity Road police station and confessed. The sword was recovered from his bedroom.

Sentencing him, Judge Neil Ford QC said Mr Nelmes was a long-term resident at the home on Filton Avenue, which is accommodation provided by Keystones Mental Health Support Services.

He said Carter had suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and a personality disorder since his teens, and also regularly abused alcohol and other substances.

Carter told Mr Nelmes before he killed him that he thought he was reading his mind and repeating his thoughts in a mocking manner, the judge said.

He said Carter then collected an ornamental sword he owned and stabbed the father of two.

The judge said the latest psychiatric report on Carter found he was capable of "extreme violence" towards other people at unpredictable intervals but had not been noted to be suffering any relapse before the killing.

Carter's barrister, Paul Grumbar, told the court he did not think anyone was to blame for what happened.

'Tragic and horrendous'

"No science is perfect and no professional service can cover all eventualities, particularly when dealing with such a complicated person as Mr Carter," he said

A spokesman for Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust said: "Decisions about the care and support provided to service users are always informed by the best clinical understanding of individual needs.

"We shall of course work closely with the independent investigation being commissioned by the strategic health authority designed to identify any lessons which can be learned from this tragic event."

Mr Nelmes's adoptive parents, Cheryl and Tony, said: "He was taken away from us all in such tragic and horrendous circumstances in a completely unprovoked and senseless attack.

"We therefore welcomed the investigation by Avon and Somerset Mental Health Partnership and were shocked by the findings and some of the failings identified. We still await an external investigation report."

They added: "Nothing will ever make up for the fact that we all have to go through our lives now without Gino, but we hope that today's sentence will protect other families from going through what we have gone through in the last 11 months and will continue to go through for the rest of our lives."

More on this story

  • Man in court charged with Bristol care home murder

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.