Jo Yeates murder police given more time to quiz suspect

Vincent Tabak
Image caption Mr Tabak's flat is not this first in the block to be searched

Detectives have been given until Saturday to question a man arrested on suspicion of murdering Jo Yeates.

Miss Yeates, 25, was found dead on Christmas Day, eight days after going missing from her home in the Clifton area of Bristol.

Police have been searching a flat next to Miss Yeates's, which BBC News understands is home to 32-year-old Dutch national Vincent Tabak.

Police have not confirmed Mr Tabak has been arrested.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said: "This afternoon, police have been to court and successfully applied for a warrant of further detention, which will enable us to continue to question the 32-year-old man we arrested yesterday until late tomorrow evening."

Dog walkers

Mr Tabak's flat is not the first in the block to have been searched by officers.

Police closed Canynge Road early on Thursday and put up scaffolding next to Miss Yeates's flat.

Forensic teams then began a search at the block, which was covered up with green sheets, and police also sealed off part of Aberdeen Road in Cotham, about a mile from the flats.

The arrest early on Thursday is believed to have taken place at a converted Victorian terraced house in the road.

Image caption It is believed a 32-year-old man was arrested in Aberdeen Road

Police were initially granted extra time to question the suspect on Friday morning and a further day was granted in the afternoon.

Miss Yeates's frozen body was found by dog walkers on 25 December next to a country road in Failand, three miles from where she lived.

A post-mortem examination revealed she had been strangled.

Miss Yeates, who was originally from Ampfield in Hampshire, was reported missing by her 27-year-old boyfriend Greg Reardon on 19 December when he returned to their home after a weekend away visiting family in Sheffield.

Earlier this week a reconstruction for the BBC's Crimewatch programme was filmed, tracing Miss Yeates's last steps.

The reconstruction focused on what happened to her after she left the offices of BDP, where she worked in Bristol city centre, on 17 December.

Miss Yeates went to the Bristol Ram pub and then stopped at Waitrose and a Bargain Booze shop.

She then bought a pizza from a Tesco Express store before returning home.

'Armchair detectives'

CCTV footage of her in all three shops was later released by police.

Miss Yeates's shoes, coat, mobile phone, purse and keys were found in her flat, leaving detectives certain she had returned to her home.

The receipt from Tesco was also discovered in the flat but no trace has been found of the pizza or its packaging.

Tests have revealed she did not eat the pizza before she died.

Miss Yeates's parents, David and Teresa, made a new appeal for information on Monday in which they urged "armchair detectives" to help police.

The appeal prompted more than 300 calls to the force.

Miss Yeates's landlord Chris Jefferies, 65, was previously held for three days for questioning on suspicion of murder before being released on bail.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites