Jo Yeates murder inquiry: 32-year-old man arrested

Vincent Tabak
Image caption Vincent Tabak's flat was being searched by police

A 32-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of landscape architect Jo Yeates.

Miss Yeates, 25, went missing from her home in Canynge Road, Clifton, Bristol, on 17 December after a night out with work colleagues in the city.

BBC News understands a flat being searched by police, next to Miss Yeates's flat, is occupied by Dutch national Vincent Tabak.

Avon and Somerset Police will not confirm Mr Tabak has been arrested.

Mr Tabak's flat is not the first in the block which has been searched by officers.

Police closed Canynge Road early on Thursday and put up scaffolding next to Miss Yeates's flat.

Forensic teams then began a search at the block, which has been covered up with green sheets.

Police have also sealed off part of Aberdeen Road in Cotham, about a mile from Miss Yeates's flat.

The early morning arrest is believed to have taken place at a converted Victorian terraced house in the road.

Two police officers were standing guard outside the property on Thursday afternoon.

Miss Yeates's frozen body was found by dog walkers on Christmas Day next to a country road in Failand, North Somerset.

A post-mortem examination revealed that she had been strangled.

Image caption It is thought a 32-year-old man was arrested in Aberdeen Road

Her father David said he was pleased with the arrest.

Miss Yeates was reported missing by her boyfriend Greg Reardon, 27, on 19 December when he returned to their home from a weekend away visiting family in Sheffield.

Detectives have said there was no evidence that Miss Yeates had been sexually assaulted but they had not ruled out a sexual motive.

Her body was found with a ski sock missing.

Crimewatch reconstruction

The arrest comes two days after a Crimewatch reconstruction was filmed tracing Miss Yeates's last steps.

The reconstruction focused on what happened to her after she left her firm, BDP, in Bristol city centre.

She went to the Bristol Ram pub and then stopped at Waitrose and a Bargain Booze shop.

She then bought a mozzarella, tomato and pesto pizza from a Tesco Express store before returning home.

CCTV footage of Miss Yeates in all three shops was later released by police.

Detectives said she had made it home to her flat because her shoes, coat, mobile phone, purse and keys were found there.

The receipt for the pizza was also found there but no trace has been found of the food or its wrapper.

Tests have revealed Miss Yeates had not eaten the pizza before she died.

Miss Yeates's parents, David and Teresa, made a televised appeal for information on Monday in which they urged "armchair detectives" to help police.

The appeal prompted more than 300 calls to the force.

Miss Yeates's landlord Chris Jefferies, 65, was previously held for three days for questioning on suspicion of murder before being released on bail.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites