Bristol

Filton hotel evacuated after pool chemical spill

Holiday Inn incident
Image caption A full chemical emergency was declared as a precaution

Firefighters in South Gloucestershire have dealt with a chemical incident at a hotel in Filton.

Emergency services were called to the Holiday Inn after reports staff had inadvertently mixed two chemicals together near the hotel's pool.

An Avon Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said one man in his 20s had been taken to hospital.

"Guests and staff have been moved to another area of the hotel while the spillage is dealt with," he said.

"Firefighters in gas-tight suits are dealing with the spillage which happened at 8.30am this morning in the maintenance area of the swimming pool.

"At present they are analysing the chemicals [and] working with environmental protection officers from the council.

"We have declared a full chemical emergency as a precaution and have five appliances in attendance and an environmental protection unit.

"This is a small confined leak of possible chlorine gas and there is no risk to any members of the public," he added.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites