Bristol boy slightly injured after swallowing scissors

Image caption, Curtis suffered minor cuts to his throat when he swallowed the scissors

A 12-year-old boy from Bristol has escaped with minor injuries after he swallowed a pair of scissors.

Curtis Francis, from Lockleaze, is visually impaired and has severe learning difficulties after suffering a brain haemorrhage when he was born.

His mother, Karon Edwards, said she only turned her back for a minute.

Ms Edwards, 50, said she initially thought her son had swallowed a pen lid and was horrified when she saw the X-ray of his throat.

"I didn't even know you could swallow scissors," she said.

'Coughing up blood'

Ms Edwards said the nail scissors were extracted under anaesthetic at Bristol Royal Infirmary and Curtis was lucky to only suffer minor cuts to his throat.

She said everything at her home had now been placed even higher out of her son's reach.

Image caption, Curtis' mother said she now locked any potentially dangerous items away

"He's not aware of any danger at all," she said. "He needs watching constantly.

"I don't even leave kitchen roll around now because he will take that and put it in his mouth. Grass, mud, he will put it in his mouth.

"I knew he had swallowed something because of the sound he was making, but obviously I didn't know what.

"We went to the hospital and he was coughing up blood.

"I thought it was a pen top and we went and had an X-ray and that's when we found out it was scissors and of course that was a shock.

"It was my worst nightmare because we've always had a choking plan at school and for myself, just in case. For it to actually happen after 12 years was horrifying."

Ms Edwards said she had been having nightmares about the incident since it happened.

"Unless it's something huge it's now locked away in cupboards," she said.

"I'm also back to putting him in the wheelchair now, which I used to when he was younger, when I go in the shower or do household chores, to keep him safe. That's the only thing I can do."

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.