Three hurt in A64 crash after police chase in Leeds

Crash scene
Image caption Two men travelling in the Corsa were taken to hospital with head and spinal injuries.

Three men have been injured, one seriously, when a car was involved in a head-on collision with a taxi after being followed by police.

Police said a vehicle had been following a Corsa on the A64 in Leeds at about 0430 GMT.

The chase was abandoned when the Corsa began travelling the wrong way down the road and collided with a taxi.

West Yorkshire Police said the case had been referred to the Independent Police Commission. (IPCC)

The incident comes after two fatal crashes involving police pursuits in West Yorkshire since Sunday.

The two men in the Corsa suffered head and spinal injuries.

The 26-year-old front seat passenger is in a serious condition at Leeds General Infirmary.

The 24-year-old driver was taken to the same hospital after suffering injuries which are not considered life-threatening.

'Significant disruption'

The 26-year-old taxi driver suffered a broken leg. The 34-year-old male passenger was not injured.

West Yorkshire Police said officers in a marked patrol vehicle had followed the car onto the city's Osmondthorpe Lane after it failed to stop.

The police pursuit stopped when the vehicle turned onto the A64 and began travelling the wrong way down the road.

West Yorkshire Police said the incident had caused "significant disruption" on the road, which was closed westbound for about six hours between the A63 Selby Road and Gipton Approach.

On Tuesday, 18-year-old Matthew Norman from Horsforth died when a car overturned after being followed by police in north Leeds.

IPCC referral

An 18-year-old boy who was a passenger in the car remains in a critical condition in Leeds General Infirmary.

A 19-year-old man is still being treated for serious injuries which are not thought to be life threatening.

In a separate incident, 20-year-old Sayeed Iqbal from the Stockbridge area of Keighley died when the car he was driving crashed while being pursued by an unmarked police car in the town on 23 January.

A 15-year-old boy, who was a passenger, suffered serious injuries and remains critically ill in Leeds General Infirmary.

Both of those incidents have been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission by the force.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites