Bradford killer of brother, nine, detained

Jack Taylor
Image caption Jack suffered multiple stab wounds in the attack in February 2010

A man who admitted killing his nine-year-old brother has been given an indefinite hospital order by a judge.

Daniel Taylor, 21, pleaded guilty in June at Bradford Crown Court to the manslaughter of Jack.

The boy died after being stabbed by his brother at a house on Rookes Avenue, Bradford, on 18 February 2010.

The court heard Taylor was a paranoid schizophrenic and was probably suffering "an abnormality of the mind" when he killed his brother.

Taylor stabbed his young brother to death just hours after community mental health workers left his house saying there was no immediate problem, the court heard.

He sat in the dock surrounded by guards and carers and showed no emotion as the court was told about the attack on his brother and his history of mental health problems.

The court heard he was told he had doted on Jack when he was born, they were close and he loved him very much.

But Simon Bourne-Arton QC, prosecuting, said Taylor had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia a number of years earlier and also had problems with cannabis use and alcohol.

From May to August 2009 he was admitted to Lynfield Mount Hospital in Bradford and, when he was released, he was monitored by a community mental health team.

'Hearing voices'

The court heard Taylor would often fail to take his medication and eventually his condition began to deteriorate.

Mr Bourne-Arton said he was hearing voices and became more threatening towards his family.

The day before the attack his family tried to contact the mental health team as his mother became more and more concerned about his behaviour.

His mother said Taylor had been due a benefits payment which she feared he would spend entirely on cannabis, Judge James Goss QC heard.

She then found he had burned a picture of himself and was "out of his head".

Mr Bourne-Arton said Taylor's key care worker was away and on February 18, the day of the attack, his team had training which meant the message was not picked up until the afternoon.

Members of the team did visit Taylor at home later in the day.

The prosecutor said they stayed for about 20 minutes and left after concluding "there was no immediate problem or crisis".

Five hours later, he said, Taylor picked up a 8.7in (22cm) kitchen knife and went looking for his brother, Mr Bourne-Arton said.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites