James Teer murder: Killers jailed for shotgun killing

  • Published
Blake (l) and MilesImage source, West Midlands Police
Image caption,
Ty Blake and Sharn Miles had tried to blame each other for pulling the trigger

Two killers seen ordering a takeaway 20 minutes after they gunned a man down have been jailed for at least 32 years.

Sharn Miles, 20, and Ty Blake, 19, blasted aspiring firefighter James Teer in the face with a shotgun a week after a nightclub row.

Judge Mr Justice Spencer likened the "cold-blooded" shooting of the "handsome and well-loved" 20-year-old to an execution.

The pair were handed life sentences at Birmingham Crown Court.

A trial heard Blake and Miles drove to Goosemoor Lane, Birmingham, in a BMW stolen hours before.

They found Mr Teer playing football in the street and, when he walked to the driver's side window Blake pulled the trigger.

After leaving Mr Teer lying in the street, Blake, of Shustoke Road, Shard End, and Miles, of Gowan Road, Alum Rock, got rid of the gun, before walking to a fast food restaurant.

CCTV showed the men ordering food, with Blake seen holding a tissue to his lip which had been cut by the gun's recoil.

Media caption,

CCTV footage shows killers ordering fast food after murder

Sentencing, Justice Spencer told the pair: "This was a cold-blooded killing, carried out clinically and mercilessly, planned well in advance, in revenge for a perceived slight which offended your arrogant self-esteem."

The judge praised Mr Teer's family for their calm, quiet dignity through the "harrowing evidence" heard during trial.

"You have my admiration for the way you have conducted yourselves and borne your ordeal," he said.

The judge said it was a cruel irony that Mr Teer's "live and let live attitude" was the polar opposite of his killers.

"Immature" Miles had become "incensed" after the night club row four nights earlier with a group that included Mr Teer, the judge said.

"The altercation was not even primarily with James Teer - you said he was trying to be a peace-maker." he added.

Image source, Family Handout
Image caption,
James Teer was shot twice in the face at close range

In a victim impact statement read to court, Mr Teer's mother Jacqueline Brown said one moment their son had been "laughing and joking", the next she was looking at him lying in the road, covered by a blanket.

"We will never forget that day, the day our life ended," she said.

At their trial, both men accepted being in the car during the shooting, but each said the other had pulled the trigger.

Jurors unanimously convicted them of murder on Wednesday, also finding Blake guilty of theft and burglary.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.