Wolverhampton attacker stabbed his mother repeatedly

Image source, West Midlands Police
Image caption,
Melvin James is understood to have turned the knife on himself

A man repeatedly stabbed his mother after fatally wounding his sister and then turned the knife on himself, an inquest has heard.

Melvin James killed his sister Ann-Marie at the family flat in Wolverhampton in March.

His mother Lynette James told him she loved him as he stabbed her "again and again" and thought she was going to die.

Melvin had been in hospital in Scotland before the attack.

Ms James' evidence was read out at the inquest in Oldbury by Black Country coroner Zafar Siddique.

She said she had just been going for a shower in the flat in Leasowes Drive when she heard her 33-year-old daughter shout, and she knew something was "seriously wrong".

Image source, West Midlands Police
Image caption,
Ann-Marie James suffered a stab wound to the chest in the attack

"I decided to run into the lounge and call the concierge from the phone," she said.

"I see Melvin by the kitchen and he ripped the phone off the wall."

She said his eyes were red and fixed upon her.

"He plunged the knife into me, again and again.

"I said 'I love you, son'."

Image source, Express & Star
Image caption,
Armed police units used stun grenades to storm the flat

She managed to get to the bathroom, locked the door and rang the police.

She told them: "I said 'I'm going to die, my son has stabbed me and my daughter is on the floor'."

Ann-Marie died of her injuries and her mother, then 59, had to have surgery for stomach wounds.

Ms James said the weekend before her son and daughter had been happy.

But the night before the incident, Mr James was in a strange mood and the next morning appeared to be "hot and sweating".

Police had first been called to the scene by a neighbour who reported hearing "horrific sounds".

Officers Tasered and then batoned Mr James but were forced back.

Image caption,
Police entered the flats in Leasowes Drive and shouted at Melvin James to drop the knife

Armed units arrived and smashed a hole in the door to get through and threw two stun grenades through the opening.

An officer who got inside said he saw Mr James coming towards him carrying a knife. The officer Tasered him and, while he was down, other officers disarmed and handcuffed him.

They then noticed he had "serious abdominal injuries" and handed him over to paramedics.

The inquest also heard from younger brother Leon James who had collected Mr James from the Royal Edinburgh Hospital in February.

He told the inquest in Oldbury his older brother had been sectioned at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, voluntarily at first, for displaying psychotic paranoid behaviour.

The 36-year-old was later discharged and Leon James drove to the hospital to bring him back.

He said he was not given any notes as to his brother's condition and was told to register him with a GP when he arrived home.

The inquest continues.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.