Birmingham & Black Country

Kitten dies after Birmingham man stubs out cannabis joint in its face

A kitten died after a man stubbed a joint out in its face, a court heard.

Robert White tried to make his pet cat Salem inhale drugs on 16 May, before he stubbed it out on the animal.

Birmingham Magistrates' Court heard the kitten suffered third-degree burns to 80% of its face, and after being taken to the vets he was put to sleep to prevent further suffering.

White, 38, of Rogerfield Road in Birmingham, was handed a four-month sentence suspended for 18 months.

He was also banned from owning pets for life, ordered to pay £350 costs and a £150 victim surcharge and will be made to attend a drug and alcohol rehabilitation course.

More on this and other stories from Birmingham and Black Country

RSPCA inspector Beth Boyd said the case was "one of the worst" she had investigated.

"I can't even think about what Salem must have gone through that night - he would have been in severe pain, as well as being very frightened," she said.

"At least now some justice has been done for him."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites