Birmingham & Black Country

Nic Cruwys attack: Five change plea in Watford football fan trial

Nic Cruwys Image copyright West Midlands Police
Image caption Nic Cruwys was in a coma for three months following the attack, the court heard

Five teenagers have admitted their part in an attack which left a football fan seriously ill.

Four 19-year-olds and a youth changed their pleas during a trial at Wolverhampton Crown Court.

The attack left Watford fan Nic Cruwys in a coma following a match at Wolverhampton Wanderers on 7 March 2015.

The five, and another teenager who previously admitted grievous bodily harm, will be sentenced on 9 September.

Daniel Lloyd, of Longfellow Road, Dudley; Joseph Lister, of Palmer Close, Wednesfield and a 15-year-old, who cannot be named, admitted grievous bodily harm.

Robert Beech, of Springfield Road, Wednesfield, admitted threatening behaviour, while Ryan Meer, of Watling Street, Gailey, Staffordshire, pleaded guilty to affray.

All five were acquitted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent following a trial which lasted almost two weeks.

Pain and suffering

Mr Cruwys suffered serious brain injuries and was in a coma for three months following the "unprovoked attack", the trial heard.

He had travelled with friends by train to watch the match, which ended in a 2-2 draw.

The attack happened as they made their way back to the city's train station and planned to visit a pub for a drink.

David Lee, prosecuting, described it as "an unprovoked group attack", adding the defendants were "going in a group to that area to look for trouble, which they found and caused".

The court heard Mr Cruwys continues to receive treatment for his injuries.

In a statement his family said they hope the verdicts "reflect the injuries Nic suffered and our family's pain and suffering".

"Although Nic will never fully recover, we are now hoping to try to move on with our lives and try to put the horrific situation behind us," they said.

Related Topics

More on this story