Birmingham & Black Country

Akhtar Javeed killing: Five workers tied up in Birmingham raid

Akhtar Javeed Image copyright West Midlands Police
Image caption Akhtar Javeed was a devoted husband and caring father, says his daughter Lilas Javeed

Five warehouse workers were tied up before masked robbers shot their boss dead, detectives have said.

Akhtar Javeed, 56, was gunned down outside his warehouse in Digbeth, Birmingham on 3 February.

Detectives are keen to speak to two people - a worker pushing a bike and a private hire taxi driver.

The businessman's daughter, Lilas Javeed, said: "My brothers will now have to become men and start life without their role model guiding them."

Image caption Lilas Javeed said her father was a helpful man who always put others before himself

At about 18:30 GMT on the day of the shooting, police said, two masked men in a silver Renault Megane entered Direct Source 3 Ltd on Rea Street South.

Five staff members were handcuffed with cable ties and it appeared Mr Javeed was shot while fighting off the attackers, Det Supt Mark Payne said.

Mr Javeed was found outside his business premises with a "major neck wound" and pronounced dead in hospital.

The robbers escaped empty-handed in the Renault Megane and turned on to McDonald Street, without their vehicle lights on, detectives said. Police appealed for anyone who saw the car to come forward.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice have released CCTV footage

Forensic analysis of bullet cases from the premises showed the weapon that fired the fatal shot "had not been used in any other crime either locally or nationally," police said.

More about this and other stories from Birmingham and Black Country

Police also made specific appeals for two people in the area at the time of the botched robbery.

The first was a man who was pushing a bike along Leopold Street towards Dymoke Street at about 18:20 GMT.

The second was the driver of a private hire Toyota Avensis taxi that followed the vehicle in which the masked robbers fled.

Image caption Police are looking to trace a taxi that drove from Rea Street South, pictured, on to MacDonald Street around the time Akhtar Javeed was killed

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites