Birmingham & Black Country

Birmingham cinema fire sparked by electrical fault

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionFilm footage of Birmingham cinema fire

A fire at a cinema in Birmingham's entertainment district was caused by an electrical fault, firefighters say.

Crews received more than 20 calls about the blaze at Cineworld in Broad Street on Sunday evening.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from the cinema and nearby restaurants but no-one was injured. Cineworld was shut for about two hours.

Fire officers said they believed the fire to have been started by fault in an electric sign.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites