Birmingham & Black Country

Gunmakers Arms loses licence after customer's death

Gunmakers Arms, Aston, Birmingham Image copyright Google
Image caption Birmingham City Council's licensing committee said it was "entirely appropriate" to revoke the licence

A pub where a drunken customer died while the bar manager went out to get food has lost its licence.

The man died at the Gunmakers Arms, in Aston, Birmingham, on 10 December.

He had been drinking heavily and was sprayed with water to sober up and then placed on the floor, unconscious, before the manager left to get food.

A coroner's inquest later ruled the customer died from acute ethyl alcohol intoxication and a pre-existing heart condition.

The inquest heard the customer, who has not been named, had been in the pub since about 18:00 GMT on 9 December, drinking cider and spirits.

At about 23:30 GMT he fell asleep in a chair. He was still asleep at 00:30 GMT when the manager and another customer decided to get some food.

When they returned, the man was cold and was moved next to a radiator and an ambulance was called when he did not come round.

Reviewing the pub's licence, Birmingham City Council's Licensing Committee said he had consumed "an excessive amount of alcohol, directly from a bottle of Jack Daniels in one go, in circumstances when there had been a clear management failing in prohibiting any such action from arising in the first place".

A number of non-duty paid bottles of spirits were also on display and there was evidence spirits had been decanted from some bottles to others on display on the optics, the committee said.

Councillor Lynda Clinton, chair of the committee, said it was "entirely appropriate" to revoke the premises' licence given concerns raised by West Midlands Police and Birmingham Trading Standards.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites