Birmingham & Black Country

Dead lizard found in can of tomatoes in Alum Rock

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionMuhammad Hussain's wife was making a biryani at the time

A couple making lunch were shocked to find an unwanted addition inside a can of tomatoes - a dead lizard.

Muhammad and Sanam Hussain made the grisly discovery as Mrs Hussain was cooking a curry on Thursday at their home in Alum Rock, Birmingham.

Mrs Hussain, who is seven months pregnant, said the sight of the creature had made her feel ill.

Euro Foods, which distributes the product, said it was investigating how the lizard could have got into the tin.

Image copyright Muhammad Hussain
Image caption The couple said the discovery had put them off their food

Mrs Hussain said: "It was disgusting. I am in shock. I am so worried about my baby because I am pregnant.

"I talked to my midwife about it and she said if I feel ill, I should contact the hospital."

Her husband said he was alerted by his wife's screams.

"My wife was making lunch for me and our 15-month-old son," he said.

"When she opened the can, she saw something and screamed at me to come through. I saw it was a dead baby lizard.

"We are worried about food poisoning. The can was part of a pack of 12. We had already eaten seven of them. Now my wife is off her food.

"I think we have been put off tinned tomatoes for life."

Mr Hussain said he had bought the cans at Masala Bazaar, an Asian supermarket in Birmingham which is owned by Euro Foods.

Euro Foods said it had contacted its Italian supplier to find out how the lizard got into the tin.

Image copyright Muhammad Hussain
Image caption The food supplier is investigating how the lizard got into the tin

The company said: "This is a major concern. We are in touch with the family and are going to collect the offending can and have it analysed to see at what stage of the process the lizard got introduced.

"Once we have investigated, we will put in controls to stop this happening again."

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites