Birmingham & Black Country

Yorkswood Primary School children tested for poisoning after coach fire

More than 50 school children have been tested for carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation after a coach fire.

The children and several adults were on a school trip to Warwick Castle and on the M42 when the ambulance service was called at about 10:10 GMT.

Paramedics and an emergency response team tested 53 children, eight members of staff and the coach driver.

The pupils, all aged about six, were from Yorkswood Primary in Solihull.

No-one was seriously affected.

A spokesman for Solihull Council said: "It became apparent that there had been a small fire towards the rear of the bus and the company is currently investigating this."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said exhaust fumes from the coach "were believed to have started entering the passenger cabin".

People were assessed for smoke inhalation, but the council said the party of Year 1 children was found to have suffered no ill-effects.

A second coach collected the children and took them back to school.

A spokeswoman for the school said: "The children weren't bothered about the coach, but they were very upset about missing the trip to Warwick Castle."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites