Birmingham & Black Country

Birmingham's Paragon Hotel guests evacuated due to fire

Image caption The fire started shortly after 03:00 BST

Nearly 300 guests had to be evacuated in the early hours from a Birmingham hotel after a fire broke out on the second floor.

An electrical fault is being blamed for the fire at the five-storey Paragon Hotel in Alcester Street.

About a fifth of the first and second floors were said to have been affected by smoke.

The fire started shortly after 03:00 BST but crews from Highgate were able to leave the scene about an hour later.

West Midlands Fire Service said hotel staff evacuated the premises before crews arrived.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites