Callum Wilson murder trial: Mother caused baby 'catastrophic' injuries

A baby suffered "catastrophic" injuries after he was fatally assaulted by his mother, a court has heard.

Eleven-month-old Callum Wilson died in hospital on 18 March 2011 having suffered an "unsurvivable brain injury", the Old Bailey heard.

His mother, Emma Wilson, 25, of Paddock Close, Windsor, has denied her son's murder.

The prosecution claims she carried out "a violent act" against a "vulnerable" child.

Prosecutor Paul Dunkels QC told the jury that Callum was taken to hospital in Oxford in a "collapsed state" and "died two days later".

"Violent movement may also have contributed to the brain injury," he told the jury.

A post-mortem examination revealed Callum had also suffered rib, arm and leg fractures and had bruising across his face and body.

'Emotionless and listless'

The court was told that doctors believed the fractures had been caused 10 to 14 days before Callum died.

Mr Dunkels said Ms Wilson had "no plausible explanation" for her son's injuries but that she claimed "constant pushing and rolling" by his then 23-month-old brother, who can not be named for legal reasons, may have been to blame.

He told the jury the elder son would not have had the strength to cause fractures.

The court heard Ms Wilson had her elder son, now four, with her partner.

She later became pregnant with Callum in 2009 after a relationship with another man, who was unaware he was the father, Mr Dunkels said.

Callum was fostered but returned to his mother's home in November 2010.

Health and social workers spotted scratches on Callum during visits to her flat, but Ms Wilson blamed them on the boy's "boisterous" brother, the jury was told.

The court heard Ms Wilson lied to staff at a playgroup in Maidenhead, claiming Callum was her cousin's son.

Mr Dunkels said she provided a false surname and address for the baby and claimed on one occasion that bruising on Callum's face had been caused by a non-existent older sister.

Staff noticed Callum change from a "happy, smiling baby" to "emotionless and listless", the prosecutor added.

'Moment of temper'

In March 2011, Ms Wilson arrived for two playgroup sessions without Callum, which Mr Dunkels said was to allow him to "recover from the immediate impact of injuries she had caused to him"

Photographs were shown to the jury of Callum with visible bruising to his face shortly before his death.

One picture showed Callum with his older brother who was holding a pair of open secateurs.

Mr Dunkels said Ms Wilson had carried out "a violent act" against a "vulnerable" child, possibly "in a moment of temper".

"She may have been regretful after it was done," he said.

"She must have realised she was causing Callum a great deal of pain."

The trial continues.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites