Sunningdale van body police 'acted reasonably'

Image caption,
Mr Amar was found seriously injured inside a sack in the back of the white van

Police who discovered a seriously injured man in the back of a van 37 minutes after it was stopped acted reasonably, a watchdog has found.

Shaleem Amar, 40, died on Wednesday in London Road, Sunningdale, Berkshire, after he was found inside a sack.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission said there was no reason officers should have suspected anyone else was in the van.

They had caught four men who had been in the van during a pursuit.

The van had been stopped on the A30.

Four men are now being questioned on suspicion of murder.

Mr Amar, a married father of three, was found concealed inside a sack in the back of the white van at about 1300 GMT.

Thames Valley Police referred the case to the police watchdog following the incident.

Mansion searched

IPCC commissioner for the South East Mike Franklin said of the time lag in finding Mr Amar: "At first glance this seems like a long time.

"However, based on what was known to police at that time, I am satisfied that there was no reason why officers should have suspected anybody was injured in the back of the van.

Image caption,
Mr Amar's body was found 37 minutes after the van was stopped

"I therefore believe it was reasonable for the officers to prioritise arresting and dealing with the four men, including two that were trying to abscond, before they started the search."

Detectives and forensic teams have also carried out a search of the mansion in Hancocks Mount, Sunningdale, which Mr Amar is believed to have moved into two months ago.

A post-mortem examination carried out on Thursday showed Mr Amar died of head injuries.

He had three children, an eight-year-old boy, and two girls, aged seven and three.

Police had been looking for the van after receiving a tip-off about a crime.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.