Beds, Herts & Bucks

Noah Serra-Morrison murder: Hardeep Hunjan jailed for life

Baby Noah Image copyright Bedfordshire Police
Image caption Noah Serra Morrison died of a skull fracture at his Crawley Road home in Luton last November

A man has been jailed for at least 23 years for the murder of his partner's 13-month-old son.

Noah Serra-Morrison died as a result of a skull fracture at his home in Crawley Road, Luton in November.

Hardeep Hunjan, 27, was given a life term after being found guilty of murder and causing or allowing the death of a child at Luton Crown Court on Thursday.

Noah's mother Ronnie Tayler-Morrison, 22, was jailed for six-and-a-half years for causing or allowing his death.

Medical experts said the boy's injuries were similar to those found in people involved in a car crash or who had fallen from a building.

Image copyright Bedfordshire Police
Image caption Ronnie Tayler-Morrison, left, and Hardeep Hunjan, right, posed for photographs while using cannabis

Tayler-Morrison will also serve two years for cruelty, to be served concurrently. She was acquitted of murder.

Hunjan was told he must serve a minimum of 23 years before being eligible for parole.

At sentencing, Mr Justice Baker said: "In my view neither of you have provided a truthful account and it remains a mystery why you, Hunjan, attacked him.

"But at some stage you took hold of Noah and in addition to punching him to his head, you swung him into one of the walls with sufficient force to cause a fracture to his skull and all four of his limbs."

Image copyright Bedfordshire Police
Image caption Baby Noah's cot inside the family's Luton home

Noah died after sustaining a six inch (15cm) head injury, believed to have been caused by being slammed against a hard surface such as a wall or floor.

He had also suffered multiple limb fractures consistent with being twisted or swung.

The court heard the couple had binged on drink and drugs during Noah's last hours and blamed each other for his death.

The jury was told they delayed calling paramedics for an hour as they tried to cover up the crime - claiming the child had fallen from his cot.

Hunjan and Tayler-Morrison repeatedly lied to police during interviews and fled to Scotland after being released on bail.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites