Crewe fire: Beechmere incident commander 'saved lives'

image copyrightCheshire Fire and Rescue Service
image captionFire crews were called to Beechmere residential apartments in Crewe at 16:30 BST on Thursday

Elderly people would have died in a blaze at a retirement complex without a fire chief's "swift and decisive actions".

About 150 residents were evacuated in the fire at Beechmere residential apartments in Crewe.

Decisions made by the incident commander, who was first at the scene on Thursday, "undoubtedly saved lives", according to the fire service.

Investigators are to examine how the blaze was able to spread so rapidly.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said it was not thought to have been arson.

The incident commander chose to override a "stay put" policy at the premises, which would have required residents to remain in their apartments and be evacuated on a phased basis.

Lee Shears, head of protection with the fire service, said: "It's clear that the fire wasn't behaving in the way that we would expect, and I must praise his swift and decisive actions in ordering the immediate evacuation of residents.

"His decision undoubtedly saved lives."

image copyrightCheshire Fire and Rescue Service
image captionAbout 150 residents were evacuated from the assisted living apartments

Assistant chief fire officer Gus O'Rourke added: "I must also praise the staff at Beechmere and neighbouring residents.

"They should be truly proud of themselves.

"The support from residents and the wider community of Crewe continues to be an inspiration to us all, and I can't thank them enough for their generosity, patience and understanding during this incident."

image copyrightDarren Faloona
image captionResidents living nearby were advised to keep doors and windows shut

Residents from properties neighbouring the site were also evacuated but are expected to be allowed to return home soon.

Avantage Cheshire Limited, which runs the complex, said it was "devastated" by the fire and relieved everyone on site was safely evacuated.

image copyrightCheshire Fire and Rescue
image captionFire crews were called to the scene at 16:30 BST on Thursday

Mr Shears added that the section of the building that remained intact would be "crucial" in helping investigators establish what happened.

Crews have been working throughout the weekend to damp down the site, where much of the building collapsed, and will continue the work on Monday.

You may also be interested in:

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.