Dog walkers warned as palm oil washed up in Kent and Sussex
Dog owners have been warned to keep their pets on leads after a substance believed to be palm oil washed up on beaches in Kent and Sussex.
Deposits of the yellowish or white waxy substance have been found on beaches from Thanet to Worthing.
Palm oil is not harmful to humans but can be fatal for pets, particularly dogs, if ingested.
Adur and Worthing council said the palm oil spill stretched eastwards from Splash Point.
It tweeted that its cleansing and foreshore teams were testing the substance to see if it was palm oil and in the meantime strongly advised dog walkers and beach users to keep away from it.
Shepway council said it was informed about the substance on Sunday and had put up signs in the affected areas in Folkestone.
The substance was being tested by the Environment Agency, it said.
Thanet council said all its beaches were affected and warning signs had been erected from Minnis Bay to Pegwell Bay.
"Council officers are currently inspecting Thanet's coastline and cleansing teams have been mobilised to clear the deposits," it said.