Sean Turner Bristol hospital death inquest: Mother 'begged for help'

Sean Turner
Image caption Sean Turner, four, was readmitted to intensive care after suffering a cardiac arrest

The mother of a four-year-old boy who died after heart surgery begged doctors and nurses to help her desperately ill son, an inquest has been told.

Sean Turner died in March 2012 from a brain haemorrhage after previously suffering a cardiac arrest while a patient at Bristol Children's Hospital.

His parents, Steve and Yolande Turner, from Warminster, Wiltshire, said they blamed staff shortages and lack of training on Ward 32 for his death.

The inquest at Flax Bourton continues.

'Taking up a bed'

Giving evidence at the start of a two-week hearing Mrs Turner said she felt Sean was moved "from the safety of intensive care" to Ward 32 too soon after his operation on 25 January 2012.

"Steve and I were not happy and asked that Sean remain in intensive care.

"We were told that Sean was not critical and was taking up a bed for a critical child."

Mrs Turner told the inquest she could see Sean was deteriorating.

"We could see it but nobody listened to us," she said.

"We asked so many times and so many staff - from ward doctors, outreach nurses, cardiac liaison nurse and the nurses - if Sean could go back to intensive care.

"We tried so hard to get him some help and kept asking the cardiac liaison nurse to speak to doctors for us.

"Nothing happened, nobody seemed to help. Nurses were concerned but they seemed too busy to give the time needed to care for Sean at the level he needed.

"Every nap he had I sat and cried as I felt so desperate and so helpless. Why would no one listen?

"All we can do now is put our faith in this court to find the truth."

Concerns 'ignored'

Up to 10 families are believed to be taking legal action against the University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust over treatment on Ward 32.

In November last year, Avon Coroner Maria Voisin recorded a narrative conclusion at the inquest of seven-year-old Luke Jenkins, who died in April 2012 following surgery.

Following the coroner's conclusion, Luke's mother Faye Valentine, 28, said she believed the hospital could have done more to save his life.

Miss Valentine, from St Mellons, near Cardiff, claimed Ward 32 was understaffed and accused doctors and nurses of ignoring her concerns.

Two more inquests involving the hospital are scheduled for February and March.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites